Nine, Ten, Golfers Face Yale Today

Four Eli Midfields Threat To Depthless Crimson Ten

By Hiller B. Zobel

Depth versus desperation seems to be the pre-game story of the lacrosse team's contest with Yale today.

Face-off time on the Business School Field will be 3 p.m. The freshmen play same place, same time.

Yale has "a real powerhouse," according to Crimson Coach Bruce Munro, with four--count em--equal midfields of superior talent.

From every angle, Yale looks to be an overwhelming favorite. The Elis have an attack to match their midfield power, and a solid defense in front of outstanding goalie Pete Parker.

To the Harvard squad, however, this game represents a chance to salvage a mediocre season. Added to the usual incentive for a win over Yale is the realization that a Crimson victory will deprive the Elis of any chance of national recognition.

Injuries, a season-long incubus, have hampered the Crimson again. Third midfielder Pete Palches is definitely out, which means that Munro will have only two lines able to meet the Elie might on anything like even terms.

Hopeful for Attack

Harvard's attack is the biggest local hope. Phil (46-goal) Waring and feeders Ed Curtis and Monk Aiello could move the Crimson right into the lead.

Goalie Steve Den Hartog is another top performer. If his play matches the attack's, and if the Crimson defensemen continue their recent improvement . . . If, in other words, every man plays the best game of his career, then the Crimson could win.

The freshmen too can redeem a mediocre season by beating Yale.