Wesleyan Defeats Crimson With Passing Attack, 2-0

By Stephen L. Seftenberg

Wesleyan's strong soccer team, utilizing its short passing game to advantage, spoiled the varsity's opener Saturday, 2 to 0, at the Business School field.

Hugh MuCurdy's Wesmen, in their third game of the season, scored after only six minutes of the first period. Wesleyan maintained this advantage aggressively until the frustrated Crimson began to tire, and then added the clincher with only five minutes left in the game.

A 20 to 25 mile an hour near-gale, blowing the length of the Business School field, determined each team's strategy. As the teams alternately had the wind behind them, they assumed the offensive.

Wesleyan, with a favorable wind forced the play throughout the first period. Crimson fullbacks Hugh Sergeant and John Hadik broke up the Cardinal's aggressive thrusts for the first five minutes, but the forward line of Ken Spencer, Pete Deacon and Bob Bretscher broke through at the 6:25 mark. The goal went to Spencer, his third of the year.

Wind Behind Crimson

With the wind behind them, the Crimson in turn pressed goalie Warren Witherall for the first ten minutes of the second period. Center forward Mauricio Toro drew Witherall out of the goal, but then barely missed his shot. For the rest of the period play slowed as the varsity, seemingly tired by its own fast pace, made no more concerted threats.

Behind, and facing the wind, the Crimson took the initiative away from Wesleyan in the third period. Righ wing Bill Cowperthwaite almost scored on a solo drive and Toro missed another brilliant shot as the Crimson keep the ball at midfield.

Wes Griscom upset Crimson plans for a fourth period rally, however, alertly banging in a pass from Spencer, who had driven Fischer out of the goal, after 17 minutes of the final period. Up to this point, the Crimson had been thwarted by Wesleyan's defense. Witherall stopped a long shot by center half Stacey Holmes to check the most dangerous thrust, but Crimson passing began to get ragged. Fischer had to make the finest stop of the day as the Wesmen stole the ball and rushed him. The Crimson regained possession, but Toro missed another shot with one minute left, the last of the game, as time ran out before the Crimson could set up another drive.