HDC's Headquarters Closed For Unauthorized Carpentry

Unauthorized construction by the Harvard Dramatic Club in its Big Tree swimming Pool headquarters has led to indefinite closing of the building by the department of Buildings and Grounds, Dean Watson announced yesterday.

Big Tree, located next to the Hygiene building, has been used by the HDC for about 15 years as a prop room in which a build sets. Last spring, members of the group completely covered the abandoned swimming pool to provide greater poor space.

"It certainly looks like a solid job of carpentry to a layman," Watson said, but there are places which need reinforcements." Even if fire inspectors approve the construction--with the added racing--new wiring and extension of the fire alarm system will still be needed, the Dean added.

Firs Prompted Rules

"I have no idea how long the building will be closed," Watson said. "The new construction may have to be completely turn out, since it is completely against the laws and building codes."

A fire in the cluttered building four years ago prompted a new set of regulations which the club was required to accept. These prohibited smoking, allowed periodic housekeeping inspections of Buildings and Grounds, and limited for the number of persons who could use Big Tree at any one time.

At the time, the University conducted its own inspection of the building and provided the necessary $1500 for a fire alarm system.

The Big Tree building, which also houses the Grant Study, formerly belonged to an exclusive swimming club, since disbanded. The University first gave the HDC permission to use the building about 1939.