Bulldog Soccer Team Tops Crimson on Wet Field, 1-0

By Stephen L. Seftenberg

Yale shut out the varsity soccer team, 1 to 0, yesterday afternoon on a rain-soaked Business School field, to win the Big Three championship for the second year in a row. Eli center forward Whit MacQuarrie scored the winning goal at 19:05 of the third period.

The loss was the Crimson's third in 11 eleven games, and the most discouraging defeat in an otherwise satisfying season for Coach Bruce Munro, his best since 1948.

Slippery footing, caused by the overnight rain, marred what would have been a contest between a strong Yale defense and a potent Crimson offense, which had averaged more than three goals per game. The shutout, the sixth of the year for Eli goalie Pete Bartlett, was only partially due to the sloppy field; the Crimson did not play up to its potentiality yesterday.

Its offense was slip-shod, its defense not so tight as it can be. The Crimson did not take a shot in the last half; it tried only five in the game against Yale's 29.

Crimson Close to Score

Despite its deficiencies, the varsity might have tied the game up but for a slip by center forward Grey Hodnett.

Midway in the second period, with the game still scoreless, Hodnett had a clear shot from the left, exactly in the spot from which he has scored consistently this season. This time, he slipped, however, and his left-footed kick went wide and wobbly, carrying the Crimson's best scoring opportunity with it.

Freshmen Win

Crimson goalie Lindsay Fischer, who played perhaps his best game of the season, stopped shorts time and again in his muddy goal. Late in the third period. Fischer blocked three shots in the space of a few seconds, only to have Yale's forwards bring the ball down again. The fourth time, Macuarrie, driving hard from straight out, slipped past diving Crimson fullback Hugh Sargent, and scored on a clear shot at the net.

The Yardlings finished an unbeaten season by topping Yale, 3 to 1.