Freshman Smoker Will Have Beer, Smokes

There will be beer and smokes at the Freshman Smoker, March 9, in view of statements made yesterday by Cambridge Fire Chief John F. Collins and Acting Chief of Police Patrick J. McCarthy.

"As long as the Smoker Committee has its beer, there's nothing the Liquor Board can do about it," Collins said.

The Liquor Board had refused to issue a liquor license to the committee on the grounds that it is against the law to serve beer to minors. Collins stressed the fact that serving beer without a license is illegal, but that it is up to the Cambridge Police Department to enforce the law.

McCarthy said that so long as the Smoker is listed as a private party, the committee is within the law in serving beer to minors. "We don't like to interfere in matters like this," he said. "We have to use our common sense at all times."

The no-smoking rule in Sanders Theater was made by the state and we have to enforce it, said Collins. The University made the rule in Memorial Hall, so it is out of our hands, he added.

"There is a rule against smoking in Memorial Hall," said Lewis J. Tratnyek, custodian, "but it is relaxed for special occasions such as those. In the past, the freshmen have posted fire watches at the Smoker and been allowed to smoke. There's no reason why it shouldn't be that way this years ago."

So far the sole entertainment will be Harvard's perennial scholar and singer of songs Tom Lehrer, who writes the words and music for the little ditties which he sings while accompanying himself on the piano. He retired from the University last year after ten years. In the last four of his years of graduate work; he held a teaching fellowship in Math 1 and 2.

Lehrer entertains in night clubs and private parties and performed at the Blue Angel during the past Christmas vacation.

Auditions for the student entertainment, which will make up most of the program, will be held in the Union Monday for freshmen and Tuesday for upper-classmen.