Varsity, Yard Tennis Teams Meet Favored Elis at New Haven Today

By Richard A. Burgheim

Yale, seeking its first Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association title since 1947, will face an underdog Crimson varsity in New Haven today at 3 p.m. The Elis carry a 6-0 league record into this afternoon's match, while the varsity has won three and tied one so far. The Crimson's deadlock came early in April against Navy, which Yale boat, 8 to 1, later in the spring.

Varsity Coach Jack Barnaby believes, however, that "victory is not out of the question." Last year, his team edged a heavily favored and over-confident Yale squad, 8 to 7. This year, of course, the Crimson has the double disadvantage of playing on strange courts and after a Bring three-hour trip.

As in the previous meetings, today's contest will include 15 matches, but only the first six singles and top three doubles will count on the conference records.

In the first singles match, Barnaby will use Ham Gravem against Bill Cranston. Both are sophomores, and Cranston beat Gravem in freshman competition last spring. At number two, another Crimson sophomore, Brooks Harris, will face junior Al Englander.

The rest of the varsity lineup includes Captain John Rauh, Alex Haegler, Gene Mann, Donn Spencer, Don Bossart, Conrad Fischer, Herb Stone, and Terry King.

Yale Coach John Skillman is still in doubt about his alignment, because number three man Sam English has just recovered from the flu and may not play.

On adjoining courts at 3 p.m., the Yardlings will visit a favored Yale freshman squad. Coach Corey Wynn, who has seen most of his scheduled games and many of his practice sessions rained out, will use Captain Steve Gottlieb, Cal Place, Ben Heckscher, Langdon Smith, Doug Gardner, and Barry Boehm. To date, the Crimson freshmen have beaten M.I.T. and lost to Exeter.