Fieser Breaks Record in Chem Experiment

A professor of chemistry took a speed title from one of his students, as he registered a time of two hours, 19 minutes on the Martius Yellow prize experiment.

Louis F. Fieser, Sheldon Emery Professor of organic Chemistry, set the record time while working on the experiment Friday and Saturday. The time includes only actual work done.

The former record holder, Louis S. Harris '54, did the experiment in two hours, 26 minutes, almost 30 minutes under Fieser's 1952 record time.

The experiment, designed to show both laboratory technique and skill, involves the synthesis of seven products. Fieser, who had steadily lowered his speeds until last year, had previously said that "an exceptionaly competent student who plans his work in advance, and makes intelligent use of all his time, can complete the program in about six hours."

In the experiment, students race among themselves and against their instructor. This year, Fieser performed the experiment a few days in advance of the students, so that "they could see a few tricks I've picked up." Fieser's students will have the opportunity today to better his record.

Fieser is currently doing extensive research on the relation of cancer and tobacco. He is working with hundred-pound lots of cigarette tars. He was one of the first to synthesize carcinogenic hydrocarbons.