Swimmers Win Over Cornell As Jorgensen Shatters Mark

By L. THOMAS Linden

Captain Jim Jorgensen broke a Cornell pool record as the Crimson swimming team swept every first place but one and boat the Big Red, 54 to 30, at Ithaca Saturday.

All was not auspicious, however: the Crimson was proved weak in the backstroke particularly, and in depth generally. Cornell took six out of eight second places.

Jorgensen covered the 440 free style in 4:54.7 to break by 1.6 seconds the Cornell pool mark for the event. He also won the 220 in 2:12.5. The Crimson's Tom Cochran placed fourth and third respectively in these races.

Chouteau Dyer was the visitors' other winner, copping both sprints. Here Crimson strength was evident, as varsity representatives took second place behind him. Dyer won the 50 in 23.3, ahead of Rog Clifton, and the 100 in 51.8, leading Jon Lind to the finish.

Hawkins Wins

Sigo Falk took the breaststroke in 2:34.1, but like Greg Stone, who won the dive, he was the only Crimson entry to score in his event. Dave Hawkins had little trouble with the new 200-yard individual medley, winning in 2:18.8. Pete Macky squeezed into third place thanks to a strong final free style leg.

Lind, Gus Johnson, Ron Mischner, and Macky took the free style relay in 3:39.1, while Macky, Hawkins, and Lind teamed for a medley time of 2:56.7.