Chilled Crimson Intruders Find Little Cheer at Princeton Clubs

Liquor Fails to Dispel Cold

By Charles Steedman

Those who went could only feel out of place in the crowds that pressed along Princeton's Prospect St. after the game. The Crimson team had been decisively beaten, and the visitor had no connection with the life that went on around him.

Princeton graduates, most of whom belonged in the pages of Sports Illustrated, jammed into the clubs along the street until even the undergraduate members found it difficult to enter.

Both graduate and undergraduate were quite willing to escape the chill that covered Palmer Stadium Saturday after-noon and retreat with wives, friends, dates, and bottles to the warmth of the clubs. This, after all, was what they had come for--to see old friends and sample private liquor.

The game itself didn't matter. No Princetonian could develop much enthusiasm for one that was won this easily, without any thrills in the winning, and was really only a warm-up for Yale. Even before the crowds had left the Stadium, orange pins appeared that said in black letters: "Beat Yale."

Cold, Tempo Increase

As the evening progressed the cold outside and the tempo inside increased apace. The Tiger Inn had free Bud-weiser on tap, Lester Lanin played for dancing at Cottage, and somebody from Rutgers claimed that another club had liquor downstairs that "just won't quit."

Lester Lanin gave his monogrammed beanies to appreciative dates as he played, but one Clubman remarked that very few members were dancing because "even when you make it a closed party and hire a bouncer, all sorts of riff-raff get in." For one reason or another there wasn't the spirit that the visitor remembered from New Haven last fall.

Sunday morning the Tigers took their dates to brunch at noon in the clubs, ignoring the discarded copies of a CRIMSON post-game extra that proclaimed the return of Harvard football to the Dark Ages of the early '50's.