Bruin Air Attack Will Exploit Slow Crimson in Today's Game

Defeat Might Indicate Return to Fortunes At Start of 1950's

By Charles Steedman

The portable radio may be a common sight in the Stadium this afternoon, for the Crimson football fan will probably be more interested in the Yale-Princeton game at New Haven than in the Harvard-Brown encounter going on in front of him.

But if the latter game is not as well played as the former, it should be as hard and as bitterly fought. The Crimson frankly cannot afford to lose it without facing the charge that its brand of football has deteriorated to a par with that of the disastrous early 'fifties. And Brown, beaten but never outclassed by four Ivy League opponents, cherishes a win over the Crimson as the high point of any season.

Those who saw the varsity's 35-20 loss to Princeton may have been reminded of the 1952 season when both Yale and Princeton defeated the Crimson by astronomical scores, with an upset win by Brown sandwiched in between. In order to prevent a repetition of gridiron history and to enter the Yale game next week with something like an outside chance, a good showing by the varsity today is a must.

It will not be easy. Bruin coach Alva Kelly, who remarked this week that he didn't have to get his team up for Harvard because they did it themselves, brings a team into the Stadium that is well suited for exploiting the Crimson's two glaring weaknesses. First, Brown is probably more effective in the air than on the ground, and second, it has the breakaway speed in Dick Beland and Jack McTigue to take advantage of the varsity's slowness.

The starting Brown backfield consists of three sophomores--Beland, McTigue, and quarterback Frank Finney--and one junior, fullback Joe Miluski. So far they have all suffered from lack of experience but with the season almost over they can be expected to be tough.

Veteran Brown Line

The Bruin line, on the other hand, is full of veterans. The left side is probably as good as any other in the League, with Captain Dick Bence at end, 225-pound Gil Robertshaw at tackle, and Dick Crews at guard. Bence is a good pass receiver, who has scored twice against League opponents on aerials from Finney. Robertshaw plays much like last year's Brown Captain Jim McGuinness: he is big, strong, fast, and very hard to move.

Crews, at 195 pounds, is a fast guard and able blocker. The rest of the line doesn't measure up to the left side in ability, but it has some good blockers in guard Larry Kalesnik and tackle Jim Cerasoli. The center will probably be sophomore Don Warburton, who has improved steadily throughout the year, although senior Dick Carolan will undoubtedly play a good deal. The right end is another fine pass receiver, Russell Frazier, who scored the second touchdown in Brown's 14-6 win over the varsity last year.

The status of three ailing Crimson players will be doubtful right up to game time. Walt Stahura operated at close to full speed toward the end of the week and probably start. Guard Woody Harris, who suffered a rib injury almost two STARTING LINEUPS BROWN    HARVARD Richard Bence  le  Phil Haughey Gil Robertshaw  lt  Bob Shaunessy Richard Crews  lg  Ted Metropoulos Donald Warburton  c  Marv Lebovitz Lawrence Kalesnik  rg  Hal Anderson James Cerasoli  rt  Dave Schein Augustus White  re  Tom Hooper Frank Finney  qb  Matt Botsford John McTigue  lh  Walt Stahura Richard Beland  rh  Jim Joslin Robert Topping  fb  Tony Gianelly

weeks ago, will see a questionable amount of action, and halfback Ron Eikenberry is also doubtful.

The Crimson line-up is much the same as the one coach Lloyd Jordan has been using all season. Just this week, however, Jordan experimented with quarterback Matt Botsford at left halfback and sophomore Pete Briggs in place of Dave Schein at right tackle.

The varsity's hopes today rest--as usual--on the line. If an aggressive and experienced Brown line begins to open holes for the Bruin backs and gives quarterback Finney ample protection, the running and passing of the Crimson's Stahura and Simourian will be worthless. Sophomore tackle Bob Shaunessy played well against Princeton and will have to be in top form again this afternoon, as will Captain Ted Metropoulos and the rest of the line.

Botsford, Simourian

Seniors Botsford and Simourian will again share the quarterbacking duties. The latter continues to call a fine game, run aggressively, and pass sharply; on his performance much hinges this afternoon.

After defeating Columbia easily, the Bruins lost four straight Ivy League games but all by less than three touchdowns. Yale led only by 6 to 0 at the half, Princeton was ahead, 14 to 7, until the last quarter, and Dartmouth and Pennsylvania won by a touchdown. In the Yale and Princeton games it was a question of Brown's inadequate depth allowing the other team to stretch the score at the end.

Jordan-coached teams have had considerable trouble with Brown over the past four years. Favored each year, the Crimson has managed to win only once, in 1953, when Dick Clasby's team won, 27 to 20, but only after the Bruins had threatened to erase an early varsity lead.

Jordan's use of Stahura, Eikenberry, and Harris will depend a great deal on the complexion of the game. With the Yale contest only a week away, they will see action only when necessary.Brown captain DICK BENCE (above) and Crimson tackle BOB SHAUNESSY

Botsford, Simourian