Jordan States Radcliffe Needs Over $10 Million

Expansion Impossible Until Present Needs Met, Official Says

By Christiana Morison

Radcliffe needs at least 10 million dollars to provide adequately for its present enrollment before it can consider expansion, President Wilbur K. Jordan has revealed.

Increasing the size of the student body is impossible, he stated at the annual Radcliffe student government conference, until the college has first fulfilled its obligations to the present student body.

Although the number of undergraduates at the annex has remained approximately 1000 for the last nine years, applications have quadrupled in that time. Since the quality of students has also improved he added that the college "was not privileged to ignore" their demand, but must also consider its responsibility to the number now at Radcliffe.

The present physical plant is hardly sufficient to support those now enrolled, (e.g., 10 per cent of students wishing rooms are forced to commute). Before increasing the size of the undergraduate body, a new dormitory, library, health center, and other administration buildings must be built and an expanded administrative staff provided, he said.

Cannot Expand Gradually

Jordan exphasized that Radcliffe could not continue to increase gradually its number a year without straining its present facilities past their limit. Therefore, any expansion would have to be of large dimensions, and until funds are received for expansion the student body must remain at 1000.

Jordan's announcement follows a speech by President Pusey last spring in which he declared the University's need for $40,000,000 simply to meet building needs of the present enrollment.