Crimson Ruggers Appear Powerful As Season Opens

By Alastair J.C.E. Rellie

For some time Rugby has been rather proud of its position as the University's only two-season sport, but for the last two years its pride has been modified by fall records that included a couple of ties and no victories.

This year the ruggers should set their old vanity back. Led by a miscellaneous group of foreign students and several names that might bring relief to the heart of John Yovicsin, the club is in excellent shape for its opening first and second fifteen games against M.I.T. this Saturday.

Particularly strong is the backfield. Of last Spring's team, Alan Waddell will be at scrum-half, with ex-football player Jim Damis up to fly-half and Hal Churchill in the centre.

English freshman Richard Carey will fill the other centre position, with Dubliner Jim Dolan at full back. The two wings will be junior Dave Holmes, the only inexperienced player to make the team, and Langi Kavaliku, last seen playing on Tonga against Fijiians.

The main weight in the scrum will come from Charlie Eaton, a member of last year's football and rugby teams, South African Derek Henderson and Englishman Jim Cooper, both at the Business School, and junior Bill Gill, all of whom are 200 plus.

The loose forwards will be veteran Ash Hallett, Dave Steinberg, and light but fast Roy Jakeman. Seniors Geoff Locke, Tom Fritz, and King Lowe are other forwards likely to play this fall, as is converted football player Woody Harris.