Rugby Team Beats Dartmouth, 6 to 3, Keeps League Lead

By Alastair J.C.E. Rellie

The Crimson rugby team kept its unbeaten Eastern League record intact on Saturday, beating Dartmouth at Hanover, 6 to 3. The Indians, previously rated the best side in the East, had edged the Crimson, 3 to 0, in the finals of the Bermuda Intercollegiate Cup in Spring vacation.

Only Yale now stands between the Crimson, with four wins and a forfeit, and a certain League Championship.

A car break-down meant that the Crimson played the complete match on Saturday one man short in the scrum, and Dartmouth was unlucky not to score in the first few minutes of play.

By the ten minute mark, however, the habitually slow-starting Crimson had moved into Indian territory, and Jim Joslin converted a twenty-five yard penalty kick awarded for offsides, to put the visitors ahead, 3 to 0. Shortly afterwards scrum-half Alan Waddell broke through for a fine run, and only lack of support prevented him from scoring.

Joslin Kicks

Just before half time Joslin closed out the Crimson scoring with another angled penalty kick, this time from thirty-five yards out, to make the score 6 to 0.

The extra man in the Dartmouth forwards limited the Crimson's share of the ball from set-scrums, but superb line-out play by Stan Merkel, playing his first season of rugby gave the threequarters plenty of opportunities.

Soon after half time Ron Eikenberry broke away down the wing for a forty yard run, and tactical punting by Joslin and Jim Damis kept the Crimson in an attacking position. Merkel also threatened the Green line when he grabbed a loose ball 20 yards out, only to be tackled just short of a try.

Indians Gain

Close marking by the Crimson backs and hard tackling by the forwards, especially captain Terry Turner, Charlie Eaton, and Bill Shane, kept the Dartmouth threequarters more interested in the opposition than the ball, but the Indians picked up three points on a penalty kick with fifteen minutes left, and came within a yard of scoring a try two minutes before the end of the match.

At Amherst last Saturday the Crimson's second fifteen lost its first match in three starts against the powerful but inexperienced Amherst first fifteen, 18 to 8. Jay Fowler and captain Ken Herlihy both scored tries for the Crimson, Bob Miller kicking a two-point conversion on the second. Fowler finished the game with a suspected fractured shin.