Deans to Poll Juniors About Lodging Choice

Seek Reaction to Living Outside of Houses

By George H. Watson

Some members of the Class of 1959 may be able to live outside the University's House system next year in order to reduce the number of "forced commuters."

The Dean's office announced yesterday that present juniors will receive questionnaires by mail today asking whether, and under what circumstances, they would prefer to live in private lodgings.

The questionnaire states emphatically, however, that no decision has yet been reached. It says that "no commitment is intended, expressed, or implied that members of the Class of 1959 will be allowed to live outside the Houses."

Dean Watson explained yesterday that the inquiry was designed only to find out how many students would prefer to live in apartments and rooming houses in Cambridge, and what the reasons are for their preferences.

Since mid-October, two faculty committees have been meeting for the purpose of deciding whether students should be allowed to live outside the House system.

Dissatisfaction With Present System

The committees were created because of widespread dissatisfaction with the present system of "forced commuters," which admits students to the College on the condition that they live at home. Advocates of a more liberal policy argue that the University should not force persons to commute when certain occupants of the Houses would prefer to live outside.

In the present freshman class there are more than 100 of these forced commuters who have little prospect of moving into the Houses, unless present over-crowding is reduced.

Dean Watson has called forced commuting "highly unsatisfactory," and yesterday said that perhaps a temporary solution could be reached by allowing certain seniors to live outside the Houses next year.

He pointed out, however, that as yet no details had been arranged, and that a final decision would depend on results from the questionnaire.

The questionnaire states that, if undergraduates were permitted to live outside the Houses, they could occupy only lodgings specifically approved by the University. It also says that the University would install proctors when it is "deemed advisable."

John A. Ballard, Assistant Dean of the College, said yesterday that all students, regardless of class, who expect to graduate in June, 1959, should fill out the forms which are available at the Housing Office in 4 University Hall.

Results of the tabulation will be compiled before the middle of February, and a decision will be reached by that time.