Crimson Track Defections Create Possibility of Indian Upset Today

By William C. Sigal

Ordinarily, the Dartmouth track team should be a pushover for the varsity, but a combination of scheduling, which finds today's meet coming midway between the Yale meet and the Heptagonals, and an understandable overconfidence on the part of the Crimson, could turn what under normal circumstances would be an easy win into a loss.

At last count, those unable to go to Hanover because of labs, studies, and other assorted complaints include Joel Landau, Sandy Dodge, Lee Barnes, Neil Muncaster, John DuMoulin, Sam Halaby, and Pat Liles. In addition, Skip Pescosolido's arm injury will keep him from competing in the javelin.

Only Dartmouth's weaknesses, especially in the distances, and the varsity's relative depth should enable the Crimson to win. Captain Pete Reider and Bill Thompson should place one-two in the mile, while Reider, Dyke Benjamin, and Jim Schlaeppi should sweep the two-mile.

Even without the key operatives, Crimson strong events, with at least a first and possibly a first-second, remain the 440, the broad jump, the high jump, and the pole vault. Hank Abbott or Jim Doty could win the shot and Art Cahn the 880.

On the debit side, the Crimson faces trouble in both dashes and both hurdles, the javelin, and the discus. Much will depend on the performances of Al Gordon in the 220; Dave Rosenthal in the lows; and John DeKiewiet in the discus.

Predictions figure the meet to hinge on the final relay, which the varsity should win. However, if the varsity cannot remain within striking distance until the end of the meet, Dartmouth could pull a well-predicted upset.

At the same time, the freshmen will face the Dartmouth freshmen, who won the winter meeting of the two teams. This meet also rates a toss-up.