Track Team Takes Dartmouth Meet Despite Lack of Top Men, 85 1/2-54 1/2

By William C. Sigal

Despite the absence of seven first-line operatives because of studies, the varsity track team defeated Dartmouth by the surprising margin of 85 1/2 to 54 1/2 at Hanover yesterday.

In all, the varsity swept one event, took first and second places in five events, and first in five others, as Crimson depth carried the day just as it had against Princeton earlier in the season.

Al Gordon filled the void in the 220, running the event for the first time and winning with a creditable 22.6 clocking. Earlier he had won the 440 in 50 seconds, with Dave Brahms taking third place.

Bob Downs was the other varsity double winner, taking the broad jump and tying John deKiewiet for first in the high jump.

The Crimson power events were the two-mile race, in which Dyke Benjamin, Jim Schlaeppi, and captain Pete Reider swept the Indians; the hammer, which Dunc Johnson won with a throw of 154 feet, 8 1/4 inches, with Jim Doty second; the broad jump, with Henry Wente second to Downs; and the pole vault, where Dick Williams won at 11 feet, 6 inches, with Carl Pescosolido second.

Rosenthal Scores First Win

Dave Rosenthal won the first varsity event of his career, as he took the Landau-less low hurdles in 24.7 seconds. Hank Abbott continued his steady improvement in the shot put, winning the event with a toss of 47 feet, 3/8 inch, while Art Cahn won the half-mile in a comparatively fast 1:57.4.

In the freshman meet, Jed Fitzgerald ran an incredible 4:17.5 mile, and followed with a 9:59.1 two-mile win, but despite his effort, the Yardlings bowed to Dartmouth, 84 1/2 to 55 1/2.

Fitzgerald's time, a new freshman record, is especially impressive when compared with the varsity record of 4:16.5, which had stood for 19 years until broken by Reider's 4:11 last year.

The only other Yardling winners were Tom Blodgett in the javelin and Stan Doten in the hammer.