Trackmen to Face Yale Tomorrow In Lone Home Appearance of Year

By William C. Sigal

"If there is any justice in this world, you should beat Yale Saturday," track coach Bill McCurdy exclaimed yesterday in the pre-meet exhortation to his squad.

This will be the varsity's lone appearance in Cambridge this spring, due to a quirk in the schedule, but the meet promises to be the most exciting of the year.

It will begin at 1 p.m., with the first running event starting at 2 p.m.

Probably of more importance than any justice, is the fact that, despite this week's abominable weather, the team is at a physical and mental peak which should overcome an on-paper Eli edge.

In their indoor meeting this winter, the Crimson eked out a 65-60 win, and from all indications tomorrow's pattern should be the same. The recent blooming of runners such as Al Gordon in the 440, Lee Barnes in the dashes, Art Cahn in the 880, and the return to form of dashman Sandy Dodge and captain Pete Reider in the distances could tip the meet in the Crimson's favor.

Crucial events will be the 880, where Cahn must split the Slowik brothers; the shot, where either Jim Doty or Hank Abbott must place second behind Eli Bill Markle; and the relay, won by Yale when the teams met in the Penn Relays three weeks ago.

But McCurdy's ace in the hole, Joel Landau, is favored to win both hurdles, and if McCurdy enters him in the dashes, Yale coach Bob Giegengack should have quite a few anxious movements.

On the other hand, much will depend on the injured leg of Eli dash star, Steve Snyder, who against Princeton last week was forced to take a standing start.

Freshmen Meet Bullpups

While the varsity meets Yale, the Yardlings will try to avenge themselves for the Elis' indoor win, 57 14/20 to 49 19/20. The Freshmen believe that they hold the edge over Tom Carroll, Bill Bachrach, and company.

The Yardlings' 102 1/3 to 37 2/3 win over Army and the 64 to 46 win over Princeton so far this season attest to the fact that this is no idle boast.