Buttrick Speaks to Radcliffe '58; Alumnae Award Annual Citations

'Avoid Mass Madness'

By Jean J. Darling

Dr. George A. Buttrick, Preacher to the University, advised Radcliffe degree candidates that their learning would prove to be a "slow overtaking of the plan of the world" in his Baccalaureate address at Memorial Church yesterday afternoon.

Although "failures plague us," Buttrick advised the candidates that they should balance "confidence and faith versus doubt and despair" and should not let themselves get "lost in the mass madness of our generation."

After pointing out that each person was both a doubter and a believer, he emphasized the importance of doubt to strengthen one's final faith. "Purpose, doubt, and courage of faith" should be important elements in the student's life, he added.

Reuning alumnae also saluted the Class of 1958 Saturday at the annual Alumnae Day Luncheon in Memorial Hall at which time the annual Radcliffe Alumnae Citations were awarded. Mrs. Bernice Brown Cronkhite '16, Dean of the Graduate School was presented with the Alumnae Achievement Award, and Mrs. Amborn Jayapani Meesook, Director of the Educational Information Division in the Ministry of Education of Thailand, received the twelfth Graduate Chapter Medal. Both educators hold M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from Radcliffe.

While official alumnae activities ended yesterday, senior activities for this week include Class night tomorrow and Commencement exercises on Wednesday. After Mary Alice Bauer, Class President, presents the class gift, the seniors will present their Class Night skit, which has "no plot, no hero, and no heroine," and will be aimed at the "students rather than the parents."

Radcliffe's first outdoor commencement will include an address by Barry Bingham, President and Editor-in-Chief of the Louisville Courier-Journal, in ceremonies in which 193 students will receive B.A. degrees, 24 the P.B.A., 40 the M.A. or M.A.T., and 23 the Ph.D. Reverend Paul A. Kellog, Rector, Christ Church of Dover, Delaware will be chaplain for the event.