Cermony Marks Opening of 'Cliffe's Eightieth Year

Record Freshman Class

By Jean J. Darling

Radcliffe's 80th academic year began yesterday at the college's Formal Opening exercises in the Congregational-Presbyterian Church. Seniors, wearing their caps and grows for the first time, stopped traffic on Mason St. as they led the academic procession from the Radcliffe Yard into the church.

After an anthem sung by the Choral Society, Mrs. Wilma A. Kerby-Miller, Dean of Instruction, extended the greetings of the administration to the assembled student body, and especially to the 313 members of the Class of 1962, Radcliffe's largest freshman class ever. Three students have also been admitted as sophomores in Radcliffe's first year of the advanced standing program.

The Annex's enrollment of approximately 1,100 undergraduates and almost 500 graduate students is "slightly larger than last year's," Dean Kerby-Miller noted. She added that 1,000 of these are in residence--a new high for Radcliffe.

Dean Kerby-Miller emphasized the academic achievements of the past year when she noted that 57 per cent of this year's sophomores, juniors and seniors were on the Dean's List, and 53 percent of the Class of '58 graduated with honors, one-fifth of them with Magnas or Summas.

President Jordan invited the student body to take advantage of the resources of Harvard while becoming "women liberally educated to become responsible members of society." He emphasized the student body's academic potential and hoped that everyone would take advantage of the new program in which all are considered candidates for honors in the Social Sciences or Humanities.