Council Committee Asks Extension Of Friday Night Parietal Deadline

Recommends 11 p.m. Limit

By Mark H. Alcott

A Student Council committee yesterday recommended a three hour extension of Friday night parietal rules and a concomitant limit on the use of afternoon hours. While urging that existing afternoon hours remain the same, the committee proposed that no student be allowed to entertain women in his room more frequently than three afternoons a week.

In its much ballyhooed report, released yesterday, the committee also proposed that any cutback in hours on Saturday nights during the football season be balanced by an extension to midnight on the preceding Friday.

Stressing the failure of the present rules "to fulfill the social-emotional needs of a weekend oriented dating pattern," the report itemizes statistics showing that only 5.5 per cent of polled under graduates use the afternoon hours more than three times a week.

The report further discusses what it calls "the hidden issue of morality" as a factor necessitating the limit on week day hours. "More than likely, it is predominantly the 3.3 per cent who are using these afternoon hours (five times a week) in the pursuit of pleasures worth publishing," the report speculates. the present system, accordingly, encourages "moral infractions."

Extending Friday night hours, the report continues, "is realistic in the sense that it does fulfill the needs of normal dating" as evidenced by the poll taken last spring.

Considering the argument that Friday night is a work night, the report asks rhetorically "are not the hours of 4-7 p.m. work hours also?"

The committee also recommends a 15 minute period at the end of all House functions during which students and their dates could return to the rooms "for the purpose of collecting all their personal belongings prior to departure from the House."