Open Letter Asks Students To Join NSA

College Referendum To Determine Issue

By Mark H. Alcott

The New England Regional Chairman of the National Student Association has issued a last minute appeal calling on Harvard students to rejoin NSA. Undergraduates will vote on the issue in a college-wide referendum tomorrow.

"We realize NSA's imperfections," said Elizabeth H. Parker yesterday, "but we do believe that something must be done throughout the nation to encourage and stimulate student analysis of student concerns. We feel that NSA can and does have a real and vital role."

In answer to criticisms levelled by the Student Council when it urged withdrawal last year, Miss Parker emphasized that NSA is trying both to "redefine and reevaluate its ideals and goals" and also to become "more representative of student opinion."

Student Council Letter

Besides Miss Parkers' letter, pro NSA forces will receive help from a Student Council bulletin citing the Council's reasons for voting to return to NSA. To be delivered to every room in the College, the note urges students to vote in favor of rejoining.

The balloting tomorrow (today in Dudley House) will be decisive in determining Harvard's relationship with NSA for at least a year. This referendum will be unusual in one respect: there will be room on the ballot for students to register their abstention. Conceivably, a large number of "abstentions" could undermine the position of the Council, should the vote be to rejoin.