Plans to Build Over Charles River Criticized by Public at State House

By Howard L. White

A real estate developer's plan to put seven or eight apartment houses and a civic-center-auditorium on a platform above the Charles River Basin met objection yesterday as a "grandiose scheme" to create a value for essentially worthless land.

In a four hour hearing at the State House, the Joint Committee on Cities listened to public discussion on House bill 319, which would turn over to Cambridge zoning control about 40 acres of land under the waters of the basin. The property is controlled by the Metropolitan District Commission, but owned by John Briston Sullivan (right), a Cambridge realtor.

Sullivan and his attorney, Paul J. Cronin, displayed a large sketch of the proposed development, which showed several apartment buildings of various sizes and, in the center, a circular auditorium which would be open for public use.

Stating there was "no doubt" Sullivan owned the land, Cronin went on to assert that the project would "add, not detract" from property values in the area. He said the buildings would be "first class apartment dwellings." Questioned about use of the land by Rep. Freyda Koplow, Cronin asserted that "you can rest assured it will not be rezoned for factories."

Asserting that the proposal had interested a New York developer, "one of the largest developers in the country," he said the proposal had been submitted for consideration by the M.I.T. board which had "turned thumbs down" on it.

Asked about the cost of the project, Sullivan said he had no figure in mind because he had not had detailed plans made. Rep. Koplow suggested that it would be impossible to build apartments on the site which would rent for a reasonable amount.

After Sullivan had spoken, co-chairman Rep. G. Edward Bradley asked for a show of hands on the proposition. The large audience, mostly women, voted 158 to 14 against the measure. Several petitions in opposition to the bill also circulated during the hearing, and many legislators reported their opposition.

City Councillor Edward J. Sullivan--"no relation"--supported the measure. He pointed out that City Council approval would be needed to rezone the area and that he doubted it would have two votes there.

First opposition speaker was M.D.C. Commissioner Charles W. Greenough '19, who described the legal background of the commission's control of the property. He concluded that he saw the bill as an attempt "to force a taking (by eminent domain) to be made," and "to create a value that doesn't exist." The land is assessed at only $100, though Sullivan says he paid much more for it.

Helge Holst of the Cambridge Citizens' Advisory Committee further described the legal background and asked the committee to find a "permanent answer" to the problem, one which would prevent the bill from coming up in future years.

Other speakers, representing the Community Boating Club, M.I.T., and commercial, civic, and neighborhood groups, presented further objections to the committee, including serious flood danger, loss of recreational and civic assets, and the cost to the city of providing additional schools and services for the project, which, they said, would more than offset any tax benefit that it would provide.

Only Harvard official to speak was Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, who said the project "would destroy the racing course that has been used by many hundreds of oarsmen."

Co-chairman Bradley said he thought it would take about two weeks for the committee to go through the testimony, statements, pamphlets and the several hundred letters received on the subject, and prepare a report