Varsity Baseball Defeats Brandeis

By Jean J. Darling

Wild pitching and a considerable number of errors marked Harvard's otherwise dull 7-3 victory over Brandeis yesterday at the Waltham field. Both teams made three errors and the Brandeis pitching staff walked ten batters, pitched three wild pitches, and his batsmen three times. Nevertheless Harvard got only two of its ten hits in the last four innings.

Uneven pitching was characteristic of both teams. While Brandeis tightened up on giving away hits in the second half of the game, it yielded seven walks in the last three innings. On the other hand Harvard's Ed Wadsworth began to lose control towards the end of the game, and although he walked only five, he let the count go up to 3-2 for almost every batter in the last three innings, and got his four strikeouts early.

Smoke-ball Kirby's mysterious pitch had little effect on Harvard in the early stages, as Mouse Kasarjian hit a triple, and Leamy and Harrington each got a single, and Martin, Davis, and Boulris made two singles apiece, all in the first five innings. Boulris came through with another single in the ninth which drove in one of the two runs, the other of which came from relief pitcher Jones' inaccurate throwing.

Both teams' generally messy fielding caused much raucous comment from the almost empty stands and several arguments among the players. The errors ranged from the Crimson second baseman's letting a slow bounder go right between his feet to Kasarjian's stopping to argue with the umpire while he still had the ball, allowing a Brandeis baserunner to score. Because of the wildness of the Brandeis pitching, the varsity had a chance to show off some fast base running, although Boulris was picked off twice.

Perhaps the hero of the game was Ed Wadsworth who managed to keep going despite a sore finger that almost made his pitching go out of control. Nevertheless, he allowed only five hits in the whole game and kept Walker, Brandeis' strongest hitter, to just two hits. Both teams tried to get on base by bunting, but most of the efforts resulted in fouls or outs, except for Wadsworth's squeeze which brought in the varsity's last run.

Despite the small number of fans, both teams had spirited heckling sections. In fact, Harvard's vocal support caused the Brandeis coach to finish an argument with the umpire by yelling roughly "Oh shut up" at the varsity bench