Baseball Varsity to Meet B.U. Today, Yale Tomorrow

By Kenneth Auchincloss

A rescheduling quirk forces the Crimson baseball team to take the field against B.U. this afternoon on the eve of the traditional Yale contest tomorrow. Game time for both contests is 3 p.m. at Soldiers Field.

With both Yale and the Crimson entrenched in the second division of the Eastern League, nothing rides on tomorrow's game except the usual glory of a victory against the Elis. But unbeknownst to many, the varsity is currently leading the Greater Boston League race, and triumph over the Terriers today would mean the GBL championship.

Two attempts have already been made to play the B.U. contest, the most recent on Tuesday when rain halted proceedings in the fifth inning with the varsity happily nurturing a 9-0 lead. But runs may not come quite so easily this afternoon, for coach Harry Cleverly has named Roger Pedjoe, one of the league's best pitchers, to start on the mound.

Norm Shepard has countered with Byron Johnson, a control specialist who looked good in beating Cornell last Saturday. Johnson is basically a relief pitcher, with a tendency to lose his effectiveness in the late innings when he starts, and Shepard had hoped to hold him in reserve for relief work against Yale.

Right-hander Ed Wadsworth, who has made himself the Crimson's number one hurler this spring, will pitch against the Blue tomorrow. Wadsworth has apparently conquered the wildness that plagued him last season, and has a strong twohit shutout of Princeton to his credit.

Elis Have Pitching Trouble

The Elis, mired in the league's cellar, have had pitching problems all season, and it is still uncertain who wil start against the Crimson. Diminutive Pete Higuchi, who suffered the defeat in last year's Crimson victory, is a possibility.

Though not the most formidable defending champion the League has seen, the varsity is rated a slight favorite in tomorrow's game. Its batting strength has improved in recent weeks, with Chet Boulris developing into a powerful slugger and Al Martin again showing the hitting style he had demonstrated on the spring trip.

This game is the first of three with Yale this spring, but the only one that counts in the league standings. The other two contests are played for reunion crowds at both colleges in June.

Freshmen Play Elis

The freshman nine also finishes off its season tomorrow when its Yale counterparts come up to Soldiers Field. A victory would give the squad a 10-3 season record and its fourth straight victory.

Lefthander Tom Boone, who notened his fourth consecutive win over Dartmouth Wednesday, will start for Coach Adolph Samborski's team. Bob Carpenter, top righthander on the Eli Freshman squad, will oppose him.

Boone boasts membership in a quintet of Crimson .300 hitters, sporting a .313 average. Rounding out this hard-hitting assemblage are Captain Dave Morse (.318), Mike Drummey (.349), Jim Dwinell (.311), and Phil Bernstein (.306).

The Yale freshmen also feature a powerful attack, centering around outfielders Dick Wisner, Tom Petke, and Mike Halloran.