Error-Ridden Varsity Nine Loses To Powerful Brown Team, 6-0

By John P. Demos

The varsity baseball team ran into an extremely fine pitcher at Brown yesterday afternoon and came off on the short end of a 6-0 score. Some three hundred loyal sons-of-Bruin bared their chests to the sun and cheered (and jeered) lustily, as the home team moved one step closer to winning the Eastern League championship.

The Brown pitcher, Dave Manson, scattered five Crimson hits and permitted only one baserunner to get as far as third. He displayed a good fast-ball and curve, but his main asset was remarkably fine control. By keeping his pitches at just about knee-height, he forced most Crimson batsmen to hit on the ground; and, in addition, he walked only one man.

Manson now boasts a record of six victories against no defeats, and has allowed an average of less than 1.50 earned runs per game.

Ed Wadsworth of the Crimson pitched almost as well as Manson, but could not overcome the handicap of some atrocious early-inning fielding by his teammates. Only one of the six Bruin runs was earned.

The thing that happened to Wadsworth in the very first inning should never happen to any pitcher. After allowing a long, lead-off triple, the stocky right-hander bore down and struck out the number-two Brown hitter, and then got the three and four men to hit easy infield grounders. These should have been routine "outs," but instead they resulted in an aggregate of three errors by Crimson fielders.

Somewhat unnerved by these developments, Wadsworth proceeded to allow a walk, a single, a hit batsman, another single, and another walk--in that order. The Crimson kicked in with a fourth error, and when the dust had settled, Brown had a five-run lead.

Wadsworth Retires Eleven

After this unfortunate start, Wadsworth kept the Bruins pretty much at bay. He allowed only four more hits, two of which were rather tainted, and one run. During the middle innings he set down down eleven opponents in a row.

Meanwhile, however, Manson had the Crimson batsmen hitting one grasscutter after another. All of these were readily gobbled up by the Brown infielders, who played with the grace and confidence of major-leaguers. They committed no errors at all, and reeled off two flashy double-plays.

In another game, played yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, the Crimson junior varsity defeated Gordon College by a score of 6-4. Dave Larkin pitched a three-hitter and struck out fourteen, gaining his third win of the season against two losses.