Elliott Flies to Moscow With Nixon's Mission

Short Notice Trip Lasts Until Aug. 5

William Y. Elliott, Director of the Harvard Summer School, left for Moscow yesterday with Vice President Richard Nixon, it was learned last night. Elliott's name had not appeared on the published lists of members of the Nixon party, and it is thought that his decision to accompany the Vice President may have been made since last Friday.

A State Department official said that Elliott "is going, like others, as a member of the party with no specific function to perform." He added that Elliott's visit had been planned "for several days." The trip will last until August 4 or 5.

During Elliott's absence Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, will fill in with two lectures in Government S-1b on July 27 and 29, and the course will meet in sections on other days.

Elliott has often advised the national Administration on foreign affairs. Since 1953, he has been a member of the National Security Council planning board, and served as assistant director of the Office of Defense Mobilization from 1951 to 1953. Since the war, he has been on the staffs of a number of House committees on foreign aid and affairs.

Elliott is the author of several books on foreign policy study.