Council to Elect President Tonight

By Mark H. Alcott

One of the closest Presidential races in recent years will reach its climax at the Student Council election meeting tonight when representatives choose between Howard J. Phillips '62 and Albert L. Jacobs, Jr. '61. Despite last minute politicking, indications are that neither candidate will carry a clear majority into the meeting. Speeches and a rigorous question period will be decisive in convincing the uncommitted voters.

In an election eve statement last night, Phillips cited the need for "dynamic leadership" to enable the Council to "provide programs of direct relevance and importance to the students." He promised greater participation in NSA, an extension of the Forum program, and a study of the student parking problem.

Phillips also proposed the creation of a Council magazine to provide an organ of student discussion of educational issues. Another Phillips suggestion would bring leaders of politics, the arts, and sciences to the University for a full week of discussion and public seminars under Council sponsorship.

Jacobs called for an immediate discussion of the possibility of transferring Marshal and Permanent Class Committee elections to the supervision of another body. He emphasized his belief that the Council was well equipped to handle the elections, but called for a full examination of the issue.

In addition, Jacobs promised an extension of the Forum program and stressed the Council's "duty and obligation" to participate in NSA. He will list further proposals in his election speech tonight.

Operating against Phillips is the Council tradition of not electing a sophomore as President. To offset this, Phillips cited his two years of experience on the Council, and his record as co-chairman of the Combined Charities and Chairman of the Dining Halls Committee.

Jacobs cited his experience as Secretary, member of the Executive Board and chairman of the Parietal Hour Report.