Pappenheimer Selected Dunster House Master

Will Succeed Fair In February of '62

By Robert E. Smith

Alwin Max Pappenheimer Jr. '29, professor of Biology, has been named Master of Dunster House; he will take office in February, 1962, after a Fall sabbatical leave.

Pappenheimer's predecessor, Gordon M. Fair, will remain an acting Master for the Fall term next academic year.

A Fellow of Kirkland House, Pappenheimer has been a tutor in Biochemical Sciences and chairman of the field of concentration. He is known for his investigation in bacterial toxins and immunology. For his first sabbatical since joining the Faculty in 1958, Pappenheimer will leave this summer for the Laboratory of Physiological Chemistry of the University of Amersterdam.

The new Master said yesterday that he is taking the leave in the Fall so that he can complete some research work before assuming the new job. He will be the fourth Master in Dunster's history. Pappenheimer added that he hopes to continue his present schedule of work in Biology after becoming Master.

Surprise to Pappenheimer

Pappenheimer mentioned that "I never imagined myself as a Master or as even under consideration" when he was informed of his selection by the President and the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Fair, Gordon McKay Professor of Sanitary Engineering and Abbott and James Lawrence Professor of Engineering, commented, "I am delighted that Mr. Pappenheimer has been appointed and that the sciences will still be represented among the Masters." Although resigning from the position at Dunster House that he has held since 1948, Fair will continue on the Faculty in his two professorships.

Pappenheimer, a member of family prominent in biology and medicine, received his Ph.D. from the University in 1938. He then did research at the National Institute of Medical Research in London and at the Massachusetts State Antitoxin and Vaccine Laboratory. Prior to his term on the Faculty he was at the University of Pennsylvania and New York University.