Varsity Tennis Team Faces Indians

WEATHER PERMITTING

By Peter J. Rothenberg

If the Cambridge weather holds off long enough to let the courts dry, the varsity tennis team will open a three-day home stand against Dartmouth this afternoon at 2 p.m. The varsity will face Army tomorrow and Cornell Saturday, but the Indians are the only team of the three that should give the unbeaten Crimson any serious trouble.

Dartmouth, Harvard and Princeton are probably the three best teams in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League, and today's match may go a long way toward deciding the KITI, championship. The Indians have lost only to Miami--perhaps the best team in the country... and have beaten three of the same opponents as Harvard, by slightly greater margins. Today's match should be close and exciting, although both teams have had their practice sessions curtailed by the incessant New England rain.

Captain Ron Picket, who lost to the Crimson's Jorge Lemann in last year's 6-3 Harvard victory, heads the Big Green's singles line-up, followed by Jim Biggs, Gordon Aydelott. Phil Meyer, Larry Holden and Dave Smoyer. Biggs was defeated by Tim Gallwey last spring, and Aydelott bowed to Pete Smith, but Meyer (then playing at number six) picked up one of Dartmouth's three points by beating Denny Briggs.

The Crimson will be playing without Mark Woodbury and Gary Adelman, both sidelined with sprained ankles. Bob Bowditch will face Picket at number one, with Paul Sullivan, Doug Walter, Pete Smith, Keith Martin and Kal Pollen filling out the Crimson's top six singles spots.

Bowditch and Sullivan form the Crimson's first doubles pair, and will meet Biggs and Aydelott, while Smith and Bob Schwartzmann will face Picket and Holden at number two. Walter and Martin will play Meyer and Jack Floren at third doubles.