'Abolition' Film, HUAC Discussed In Speech, Debate in Cambridge

Alschuler, Tribe Win Prize

By L. GEOFFREY Cowan

Six members of the Harvard varsity debate team argued the pros and cons of the House Un-American Activities Committee last night in the Coolidge Prize Debate, a contest held annually to determine the two outstanding debaters in the University.

The $235 prize went to Albert W. Alschuler '62, of Kirkland House and Aurora, Ill., and Laurence H. Tribe '62, of Leverett House and San Francisco, Calif.

Defending the resolution "Resolved: That the House Un-American Activities Committee should be abolished," the affirmative team appealed to the emotions and sense of humor of the audience. It quoted Harry Truman's assertion that the HUAC is "the most un-American thing in the United States today," and described a new parior game, "HUAC," in which the side with the most accusations wins.

The affirmative team questioned the HUAC's legislative functions and accused it of creating panic and confusion, of causing innocent witnesses to lose their jobs, and of encouraging witch-hunting.

The negative argued that there is a definite need for a Congressional committee to investigate Communist activity in the United States.

The negative team will debate Yale tonight in Paine Hall.