Gov't. Theses May Be Due In December

By John R. Adler

Juniors in the Government Department may begin preparing their Honors theses in February and have them due the following December, if a plan now being informally discussed by the Faculty is adopted in the fall.

The idea to require theses one semester earlier was first presented in February at a staff tutorial meeting, where it was received favorably. Its proponents, Sanford A. Lakoff, assistant professor of Government, and Donald R. Brown, instructor in Government, have also received encouragement from several senior members of the Department. Brown considers it likely that when the full staff has time to study the plan it will be accepted in time for the Class of '63.

According to Brown, the proposal is designed to relieve the congestion in the second half of senior year, when students must finish theses by April 1, take Honors hour exams after spring vacation, and prepare for General Examinations the first week in May.

Make Spring 'Relaxed'

Requiring theses one semester earlier would have two important effects on the senior's spring semester, Brown said. First, it would make it more relaxed, permitting better work to be done in courses; and second, it would provide a better educational experience.

"The thesis is supposed to unify the student's view of his academic career," Brown stated. "With the thesis completed, he could be more reflective about his work as a whole."

Two objections have been raised to Brown's proposal. One concerns the administrative difficulty of retaining tutors between the Spring semester of junior year and the Fall Semester of senior year. Another difficulty is that some students have more time than others during the summer to work on their theses.

Would Permit Reflection

Brown answered that the plan could work within the present tutorial system. Juniors would begin their theses in the spring under one tutor, while continuing to do some of the normal junior tutorial work. They would complete the writing under a senior year tutor, thus permitting a broader perspective. Brown noted that even under the present system many students are able to keep the same tutor between junior and senior years. As for the second objection, Brown said that even the busiest students would have some time for reflection, and that the extra four months would improve the quality of theses.

If his idea is favorably received, Brown said, he will also propose that theses be weighted more heavily in Honors determination, perhaps 4:3:2 for courses, thesis, and generals, respectively, instead of the present 4:2:4. He stated that "it is ridiculous to place so much emphasis on eight hours of exams for which students have only two weeks to prepare."