Booters Face Columbia In Bid for 2nd Ivy Win

By Jonathan D. Trobe

The varsity soccer players who took the 10 a.m. train to New York yesterday are a dejected lot. They've been mowed down three times in a row by the members of the Little Three. In those games the Crimson scored only one goal (against Williams) and had precious few close shots. The team's star player, center forward Chris Ohiri, isn't getting any leg room. He tallied that solo goal against Williams, but otherwise his permanent escort of two or three defensemen is holding him to ineffectual attempts.

But, incredible as it may seem, it is still possible for Harvard to be in first place in the Ivy League after losing all those games. Harvard faced Cornell before meeting the Little Three, and its 4-2 victory put the varsity at the top of the League, with a record of 1,000.

Today the varsity plays its second Ivy game, against Columbia, whose soccer team has graced the cellar for the two years it has been in the Ivy soccer league. This year, Columbia has beater formidable Princeton, 2-1. In their second Ivy match last Saturday, the Lions outplayed Yale completely. Only a momentary lapse in their defense lost the game for the Lions 2-0. The Crimson can expect tough opposition today.

The most perplexing thing to followers of Harvard soccer is why the team isn't winning. In Ohiri the Crimson has one of the most talented offensive players in the East. He is an ace dribbler and header with a boot that stuns goalies.

At Ohiri's left and right are John Thorndike and A1 Chang. "Thorny" is tireless and tenacious. Injured off and on last season, he dives, slides, and leaps for anything near him. Chang is fast and passes beautifully. On the wings, Eb Klufio and Mike Kramer are experts at carrying the ball into the corners and centering into the goal area.

None of the Crimson's opponents so far have dribbled and passed as well as Harvard. Yet the Crimson has lost. Why? Seemingly because it lacks the ferocity and drive that bring victories in collegiate soccer. Some observers feel the Crimson plays "European" or "gentlemen's" soccer. It is beautiful to watch, but it doesn't win ball games here.

With Ohiri closely guarded, the Crimson will need other scorers, who will shoot from afar and fight for "garbage" balls around the goal. The team must also pay less attention to form, and more to pressing hard at the goal.