Volpe Loses, Plans to Ask Vote Recount

Endicott Peabody's apparent election victory over incumbent John A. Volpe was confirmed officially yesterday. Gov. Volpe promptly announced he would demand a recount.

Tabulation of the votes by 32 state examiners gave Peabody '42 a margin of 3091, making this the closest governor's race in recent state history. Early unofficial returns gave Peabody a lead of 2,000 votes. Volpe said at that he would demand a recount if the official tally gave Peabody a margin of than 5,000 votes.

A recount could delay a decision in the gubernatorial contest until past inauguration day Jan. 3. It would invariably involve challenged and disputed ballots, which must be decided in court tests. When Volpe presents his demand for a recount, Peabody will be forced to seek one too in order to protect his rights during the retabulation.

Volpe has been preparing for the recount during the week since the election by building a network of 400 Republican as who will scrutinize the returns in the Commonwealth's 351 cities and towns to check for irregularities. Volpe's recount team will work under the supervision of Frederick Wheeler, assistant press secretary to the governor.

Both Volpe and Peabody have collected the 1000 signatures necessary for a recount. They must be filed if a recount is demanded by 5 p.m. today.

If neither of the candidates can clearly claim the governorship by Jan. 3, Lt. Gov.-Elect Francis X. Bellotti will become acting governor upon taking office. Bellotti is a Democrat.