Soccer Team Loses, 4-0, Against Quakers in Rain

By Jonathan D. Trobe

The rains hurtled down on the Business School Field on Saturday morning and probably washed out the Crimson's chances for another Ivy soccer title. Penn mastered the Harvard booters 4 to 0 and left its hosts in the second division.

On the windswept, muddy terrain this weekend, it was a contest of who could stay on his feet longer, and who could kick harder. The Crimson opened the game with its familiar short passes and wing-to-wing feeds. The elements refused to cooperate: the wings lost their footing and the wet ball skidded past Crimson receivers to their opponents. In the first quarter, Harvard could manage only a few pokes at the Penn goal--slow dribblers that George Ralph scooped up with ease.

After a cautious first quarter, Penn altered its defensive posture. Working with the wind, the Quakers overloaded their attacking line for the power play. When a long kick skidded past the Harvard fullback, halfbacks Johann Stein and Peter. Humbert moved the ball toward the goal. Stein took a shot, and scored. Five minutes later, Humbert got his turn on a similar power play, and made it 2-0 Penn.

The third quarter was a stalemate; in the fourth quarter, the Crimson got fired up. With captain Tony Davies barking signals, and fullback Lou Williams joining the attack, the Crimson put on a diehard press for the Penn goal. Four times the ball landed in the mire before the Penn goal, but Crimson players failed to dig it out in time.

But Penn refused to let up its own attack. When the Crimson brought its defensemen forward for the last-minute try, the Quakers slipped downfield with the ball and scored easily. Wally Whitney, the Harvard goaltender, never had a chance. There were three unguarded Penn men against him. Half-back to wing to forward it went, and Penn had won by 4 to 0.