Library Report Calls Circulation Much Improved

The improvement of deteriorating circulation services has attracted much of the Harvard library administration's attention during the past academic year, according to the annual report made recently by Paul H. Buck, director of the University Library.

The report emphasizes improvements in the library's reference and circulation functions, "the areas in which deterioration of service had reached a critical point early this year."

Reforms have been limited by Buck's desire to keep the library's research collection, especially the stacks in Widener, "in a classified arrangement of shelves open to scholars." Although stack passes are required for the central collection, the report contrasts Widener to most other research libraries, which allow direct access only to their staffs.

Several improvements in services have been initiated since the appointment last year of Foster Palmer as associate librarian for reference and circulation. These have included the use of student assistants during evenings to overcome a manpower shortage, a simpler system of following up over-due books, and closer regulations on the renewal of books.

Charge plates have been in use since September, and the report suggests the possibility of more mechanization in charging out books. Despite recently announced plans for a four-story addition within Widener's inner courtyard and the removal of the fine arts collection to new stacks adjoining the Fogg Museum, overcrowding is predicted to be an increasing problem.

New personnel policies may also be needed. "Years ago," says the report, many library jobs were filled by young women "who accepted low salaries because they thought it desirable to work for Harvard; this situation has changed completely."