University Plans Changes in Weld

By R. ANDREW Beyer

A two-stage face-lifting for Weld Hall, slated to begin some time this month, will end the University's long-term renovation program for all the freshman dorms.

The first stage of the remodeling operation will begin soon, and be finished by Commencement. During this period all of Weld South will be renovated. Present occupants of Weld South will be either parceled out to other dorms or moved to the first two floors of the north entry, which was recently vacated when several administrative offices moved to the University Health Center.

From June until early September the north entry will undergo a similar rejuvenation. The two-stage operation is being employed so that Weld will definitely be ready for the Class of 1966's arrival for orientation week.

As one of the present occupants euphemistically put it, "There aren't many disadvantages this dorm doesn't have." In certain rooms the occupants fear freezing to death; in others they cannot walk on the floor because of the protruding splinters and nails. In one of the bathrooms the lack of ventilation causes water to condense on the toilet seats; another bathroom is "usually like a swamp."

But things aren't hopeless. The rooms in Weld are the largest in the Yard, and after they are redone, the stairwell replaced, and a common room built, Weld might be a nice place to live. "Even now," a spokesman for the freshman dean's office said, "there is a graciousness about Weld that the other dorms lack."

Some present inhabitants might disagree.