Mountaineering Club's New Cabin Will Be Built on Mt. Washington

Work has begun in earnest on the Harvard Mountaineering Club's new is in Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington. The cabin, which will replace the rather delapidated Boot Spur cabin club now operates, is expected to be shed in time for climbing activities next year.

The old cabin has served nobly for 30 years, but weather, hard usage, and general decay have taken their toll. The HMC also reports that the Forest Service was rather interested in having it removed as it constituted a fire hazard and was blocking progress on the Ski Trail.

Actual building on the new cabin will begin in June. A work party of undergraduates is expected to provide the muscle. The Forest Service, eager to see the improvements carried out, will aid in transporting the materials to the site.

In an effort to raise funds for the project, the HMC has followed the lead of the University and is appealing to the loyalties of Club alumni who now are in a position to contribute cash. The club estimates that basic costs will come to more than $700 for the 32 by 19 foot log structure. By the time furniture, handsome rugs, an outhouse, and other vital accessories are added, the costs will probably reach $1100.

HMC officials are confident that the new quarters will lead to increased interest in undergraduate skiing and hiking in the Mt. Washington area. They hope the new cabin will be serviceable over a 30-year period.