iquor, Food, Sports lark Events of Day

A regular caravan of buses lined Quincy St. yesterday morning to great the rain-soaked reunioners who were hoping to ride off to sun and fun at the Essex County Club at Manchester. For those whose hopes weren't entirely annihilated by the early morning rains, were certainly was fun, but the sun never appeared.

The vigil or prayer that took place during the hour-long bus ride must have succeeded, for the rain did cease to let an overcast sky light the festivities of the dap. The avid golfers immediately took off for the dark green slopes, while some warm-blooded youngsters headed for the outdoor pool. The liquor tent, however, with its 16 bartenders, kept the rest of the crowd pleasantly relaxed for the remainder of the morning.

Gallons of clam chowder preceded the annual lobster luncheon during which an estimated 1500 red fish went their way. The handy bibs served their purpose especially well for those who decided that one good twist of the wrist was just as good as any manufactured claw-cracker. Leaving the mounds of shells behind after ice cream and coffee, '37 emerged from its "lobster" tent and once again looked to the sky, hoping for at least one glimpse of pure sun.

Among the sports enthusiasts who weathered the chilling air were a "fathers-daughters vs. sons" ball game contingent and a group which managed to talk the tennis pro into letting them use the still damp clay courts. Others either boarded buses for tours of Cape Ann, homes and gardens, the Manchester harbor, or else took a trip to Singing Beach, where there was "no swimming, but a chance to see the beach, walk in your bare tootsies and let the sand squeeze through your toes."

A special poolside event of the afternoon featured a diving exhibition, a Houdini sack act by varsity swimmer Robert J. Price '64 (he escaped from his sack after one minute of submersion), and a display of water nonsense by muscled and artificially ballasted "lassies" from Radcliffe.

These same husky maidens were behind the scenes in a final race; no one was supposed to know it was fixed. Unfortunately for the man being pulled by a hidden rope, he had to swim on his own when the "lassies"--concealed from the crowd--exerted too much strength and snapped the line.

A light supper and a few last "quickies" from the bar brought the afternoon to a close, and '37 boarded their buses for the North Shore Music Theatre. There they were entertained by an original show billed as the class "extravaganza," which had been in rehearsal during the afternoon.

The day at an end, and hopes for sunshine on the morrow, songs and subdued chatter whiled away the return to Cambridge and pleasant dreams of the day at Essex.

Recommended Articles