'Kiss Me Kate'

At the South Shore Music Circus

The production of Kiss Me Kate at the South Shore Music Circus, Cohasset, which opened on Monday evening, has the virtue of becoming more palatable as it progresses. Although the early part of the South Shore production lags, once the musical moves into the pseudo-Shakespearean scenes of "The Taming of the Shrew" set to music, all goes well. Much of Cole Porter's best music can be found in this show, and Sam and Bella Spewack, as everyone knows, succeeded admirably in adapting Shakespeare's play into the framework of the musical comedy stage

Paul Ukena in the leading role of Fred Graham (and Petruchio) sings resonantly and employs unusually clear diction. His voice is well produced throughout his range. Elaine Malbin shows considerable skill as an actress in the part of Lilli Vanessi (and Katherine). Miss Malbin, however, might be shown to better advantage in a conventional theatre where her diminutive stature would not convey the slightly plump appearance it does on an arena state. Her voice seems to have lost power in its lower range over the last two years without compensating gains at the top.

Minor roles, especially that of Lois Lane (Bianca), played by Sherry Kaye, are well-done. Paul Roman contributes a dance full of vitality to "Too Darn Hot." Hilda Haynes lacks both the volume and the brassy voice needed for Hattie's song, "Another Opening, Another Show." Rudolph Bennet handles his small musical forces capably, and the costumes, dances, and lighting contribute to a handsomely mounted production. One or two of the young dance group deserve mention -- Mark Howard (Gremio) in particular. Mr. Howard stands out from the ensemble because of his clear diction, well-based voice, and good control of himself on stage. The unidentified dancer who accompanied Mr. Roman in "Too Darn Hot" also deserves notice.

Performances of Bernie West and Sully Michaels as the two gangsters point up what remains the long suit of summer stock: the dependence on capable comedians. These two professionals deliver their lines -- to a Madison Avenue phrase -- straight to the laugh-control center. Their "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" seems not the least bit hackneyed, in spite of the familiarity of the song. Kiss Me Kate at South Shore offers summer theatre at its finest, inviting just a little more suspension of belief than usual to make a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Broad comedy combines well with the frothy, good humored quality of straw-hat circuit musicals to sustain a mood that permits little severe criticism. In summer theatre, one submits to enjoyment of performances which might at other times seem less than satisfactory.