Rothko Gives University Five Murals

Five large murals valued at more than $100,000, the gift of abstract artist Mark Rothko, have been installed in the private dining room on the tenth floor of Holyoke Center. The newly-decorated room was used for the first time last night.

The University commissioned Rothko to do the paintings for the dining room through Rothko's personal friend Wassily W. Leontief, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, and John P. Coolidge '35, Director of the Fogg Art Museum.

Leontief asked Rothko to do the murals last in 1961, when Holyoke Center was being completed, because he felt that "the University lacked real modern art." Rothko agreed to accept the commission after he had surveyed the room and conferred with several college officials.

Contacted at his New York City home last night, Rothko said that he had agreed to do the murals only on the grounds that they be accepted without payment. "This is the first time I have been able to deliver commissioned work that I am satisfied with," he said. None of his work has ever been displayed at Harvard before.

The paintings--each about 10 feet square--were first tried in the room early last spring. At Rothko's request. Harvard then loaned them to the Guggenheim Museum in New York, where they were exhibited for about two months.

Green Material

Coolidge pointed out that it took considerable renovation of the dining room to meet Rothko's specifications. The oak-panelled walls had to be covered with green material, and new lighting developed. Rothko was in Cambridge Thursday to supervise the finishing touches.

One of Rothko's conditions was that the public be allowed to view the paintings as much as possible. The dining hall is a private one which was always kept locked previously, and there is a charge of $50-$100 for groups that wish to use its services. Coolidge said it would be some time before students would be able to view the murals, since security measures must first be taken.

Jose Luis Sert, Dean of the Faculty of the Design School and architect of Holyoke Center, said he had been consulted by Rothko "very pleased" with the paintings.

Howard F. Gillette '35, who chaired a meeting last night of the directors of the Harvard Alumni Association and the Associated Harvard Clubs in the Rothko room, said his group reacted most favorably.

A Holyoke Center cleaning woman was slightly less fond of the murals. "I suppose when he painted them, he was feeling something, but I don't," she said.