U.S. Ambassador to Honduras Says Democratic Government Will Return

By Fitzhugh S. M. mullan

Democratic government will return to Honduras in the very near future, the American ambassador to the Central American nation predicted last night. Honduras has been ruled by a military junta since an Oct. 3 coup.

Speaking to the Latin American Association, Ambassador Charles Barrows said "Hondurans were surprised by the United States' suspension of relations following the military take-over. They simply didn't believe that we would with-hold recognition or aid." He added that the "compound shock effect" of six coups in the last year and a half in Latin America contributed substantially to the hard-line policy the United States now exercises toward military juntas.

Burrows held that the Honduran take-over was not typical of Latin coups. "Everyone knew it was coming. It was simply a matter of time. But President Morales was helpless to stop it."

The Honduran constitution requires a two-thirds vote of Congress to remove the commander of the armed forces. The President was unable to secure the necessary votes and, on the morning of Oct. 3, the Army deposed him and suspended the constitution.

"The Communist problem in Honduras is very small," Burrows said. "The Army move against alleged subversion was brought about more by jealousy of the Civil Guard than by a leftist threat."

Civil Guard

The existence of an independent Civil Guard whose allegiance was to the President of the Repulic had long upset Honduran Army leaders. They claimed that the President intended to do away with the Army entirely. The charge of left-wing subversion was apparently fabricated for the purpose of eliminating the Civil Guard, according to Borrows.

"We have no desire to continue limbo-like relations with Honduras," Burrows continued. "When steps toward constitutional government are taken, we will reconsider diplomatic ties. Until then, we can only hope for the best."

Barrows felt, however, that the resumption of U.S. aid to Honduras "shouldn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with recognition. Aid must not be contingent on election promise alone, but on the actual existence of democratic institutions."