Cliffies to Cheer for Boston Patriots

By Jacob R. Brackman

The Boston Patriots have invited Radcliffe to provide eight cheerleaders for their November 20th game.

Stephanie Krebs '65, president of RGA, received the telephone offer Thursday from Chuck Sullivan, assistant publicity director of the Hub professional football team. It seems the Patriots select a different girls' college to cheer for each game.

A contest will be held to select the Cliffie Eight. All interested young ladies are requested to leave their names, phone numbers, and relevant experience in the RGA office. Measurements are not required.

The Patriots plan to supply the winners with white sweaters sporting large red "P"s. Red white, or blue skirts ("Nothing too short," Sullivan cautioned), white socks, sneakers and hair ribbons will complete the uniforms. The girls will get megaphones but no set cheers. RGA will announce the lucky winners within a week.

This is the first time that Radcliffe has ever been invited to cheerlead. In fact, Sullivan first called Joseph Concannon, assistant publicity director of Sports Information at Harvard, and was dismayed to learn that all Harvard cheerleaders were men. "We'd like to got females if we can," Sullivan confided; "otherwise we'll take whatever we can get."

He was relieved when Concannon suggested calling the 'Cliffe. "The sweaters are boatnecked," Sullivan explained. "They were designed for females. They have always been worn by females. There is some difference in the construction of male and female sweaters."

The Patriots currently boast a G-1-1 record, and are in second place in the Eastern Division of the American Football League. If they boat Buffalo and go on to win the division title, the AFL, championship game will be played in Boston. The game, says Sullivan, will have a television audience of 70 million. And the Radcliffe winners will be eligible to cheer before all those fans.

Gad, it seems almost incredible.