Defenseman Daly To Lead 1964-65 Varsity Skaters

John Daly was named captain of the 1964-65 Harvard hockey team during last night's hockey dinner at the Harvard Club. Gone Kinasewich, this year's captain, and Ike Ikauniks shared the most valuable player award, while Bill Fryer received the trophy for the most improved player.

Daly, one of the three defensemen that Coach Cooney Weiland rotated this season, predicted that next year's squad will be as successful as the present one, although seven of this year's starters will graduate.

Kinasewich and Ikauniks, both among Harvard's all-time ten highest scorers, are the first pair to share the John Tudor Memorial Hockey Cup since 1935. They were chosen not only on the basis of their ability, but also for their sportsmanship, leadership, team cooperation, and clutch performance.

Fryer received the Donald Angler Hockey Trophy for his general improvement during the season just completed. Kinasewich was also awarded a huge trophy for being the most valuable player in the Boston Garden Christmas Festival, during which the Crimson decisively knocked off northern powerhouses Toronto and Minnesota.

Coach Weiland closed off a round of speeches with a tribute to his team.