Abramson to Captain Swimming Team

Junior Freestyler Holds 2 Records

David H. Abramson '65, of Eliot House and Jamaica, N.Y., has been elected captain of the Crimson's 1964-65 swimming team.

Abramson already ranks as the greatest distance man in Harvard swimming history and holds the University records in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:05.2 and in the 200-yard free with a 1:51.1 clocking.

A strong group of holdovers and a rich inheritance of freshmen will team with Abramson next year in an attempt to improve on this season's fourth place finish in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League.

Sophomore Bruce Fowler, 100-yard EISL breaststroke champion, will provide the Crimson with power in this traditionally strong event. Junior diver Dan Mahoney, a third-place finisher in the EISL championships, could be the best swordman in the East in 1964-65. Only a slip in the next to last dive in the EISL tournament prevented Mahoney from taking the championship this year.

Freshman sensation Neville Hayes, an Olympic silver medal winner and University record holder in the 200-yard breaststroke, and sophomore Henry Frey, the Crimson's leading individual medleyist this season, are other key figures in the outlook for Abramson's squad next year.

This year's swimming captain was David Brandling-Bennett.