Lacrosse Team Shoots for Ivy Title In Game with Tigers Here Tomorrow

By Steven V. Roberts

Beneficiary of one of the greatest upsets in Ivy League history, the varsity lacrosse team takes on shaken Princeton tomorrow at the Business School Field.

After winning 39 straight Ivy games and seven championships, the Tigers lost to Penn Wednesday, 6-4. It was like the Mets beating the Celtics; Penn has never been in the same league with Princeton.

In another game, Brown defeated Dartmouth, leaving Harvard as the only undefeated Ivy team. The Crimson have won 10 straight, three in the league. They have been abominable against weak teams, tremendous against Brown and Penn.

And they are dying to beat Princeton, both because Princeton is the champion and because Princeton is Princeton.

It will not be an easy job. The Tigers are a feeble version of the team that terrorized the league in the past, but they are bigger than ever and undoubtedly disgruntled at their ignominious comedown.

The attack is led by junior Tino O'Brien, one of the leading scorers in the league, and captain Jim Haws. The third man is either Sam Pierson, a 5 ft. 5 in. speedster, or husky Phil Goldfarb.

The first midfield features Pete Porietis, a tailback on the football team. Bobby Moore, a senior, is small but tough. The third man is Cari Wille, another senior.

The Tigers are scrambling for other midfielders. Former goalie Webb Harison and attackman Jim Oakie have filled in, but there is a desperate need for more scoring punch.

Princeton is really hurting on defense. Sophomore goalie Graeme Flanders is adequate, but footballer Don McKay is the only veteran defenseman. Cosmo lacavazzi, a hero, and Don Roth, who is playing lacrosse for the first time, complete a trio that allowed Navy 20 goals several weeks ago.

Captain Pete Wood, who rested two charlie horses against Tufts, should be back on the midfield with the invaluable Tink Gunnoe and solid sophomore Dexter Newton.

Dick Ames, the Ivy League's top scorer, Ted Leary and Lou: Williams have improved as an attacking unit with every game.

It will be a game to remember.