Quintet Subdues Dartmouth, 91-79; Scully, Sedlacek Lead Late Drive

By Richard Andrews

Leo Scully, who has played in the shadows of more colorful and higher-scoring teammates for most of his varsity career, led the Crimson basketball team to a 91-79 victory over Dartmouth last night.

For 34 minutes the quintet was in serious danger of losing to the worst team in the Ivy League. But after Dartmouth had tied the score at 65-all, the Crimson ran wild, scoring 26 points in the last seven minutes of the game.

And it was Scully who did most of the damage. He had 15 points during the last nine minutes of play, and 24 for the game. When Scully tries his twisting, underhanded lay-up against experienced big men, he frequently winds up picking leather from between his teeth. But the Brobdingnagian Indian sophomores were baffled by his tactics.

The Crimson took a 23-12 lead early in the game, but excellent shooting and superior rebounding enabled Dartmouth to tie the score at 25-25. (Harvard's leading rebounder, Barry Williams, missed the game because of an injury.) The Crimson clung to a tenuous lead throughout the remainder of the first half, and left the court with a 45-42 lead.

Dartmouth slowed down the game considerably in the second-half. Frustrated by a tenacious Crimson zone defense, they waited and waited and waited for a scoring opportunity--which they usually found.

But with the score 63-67, Harvard finally began to pull away. Scully swished a soft jump shot from ten feet out, and McClung hit from the corner. After Dartmouth tightened the margin to 73-70, Scully drove through the Indian defense for a brilliant underhand lay-up, and scored from the corner moments later.

Keith Sedlacek kept Harvard's lead safe, scoring eight points in the last three minutes of play. He was high scorer of the game with 28 points and continued his assault on most of Harvard's season scoring records.

The victory left Harvard's season record at 3-6 overall and 3-2 in the Ivy League. The team resumes competition February 5 at Columbia. After that the torture begins: a game against league-leading Cornell at Ithaca, and two games apiece with Princeton and Penn.