Labor Dispute Seems Imminent for 'Cliffe

By Linda G. Mcveigh and Maxine S. Paisner

Six Radcliffe night watchmen and college administrators appear to be headed toward a bitter labor dispute.

It was announced last week that Harvard University Police will take over duties of the watchmen on October 17. In a letter recently sent to J. Boyd Britton, administrative vice president of Radcliffe, union officials discolsed their intention to bring the matter to arbitration.

According to Britton, the central issue involved is "whether Radcliffe has the right to contract for police protection with the University police."

The Union--Building Service Employees International, Local 254--maintains, however, that the question is one of violation of seniority rights. The six men are currently employed under a contract which will not expire until June 30, 1966.

Only three of Radcliffe's nine watchmen will be retained. The futures of the other six seem uncertain. Britton said last night that two definitely would be offered positions within the college, but would not describe these positions. He said that there "may or may not be opportunities for the others."

Four watchmen said last night that although they have been allowed to bid for other positions, they doubt that such positions "actually exist."

Britton insists that the college retains the privilege of contracting for police protection. The University Police, who would rove the Quad area in a squad car, will provide "greater safety and protection for students," than the watchmen Britton said.

The night watchmen were not so sure of that. Under University Police protection, only one Radcliffe watchman would be on duty in the Quad from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly. Another man would patrol Radcliffe Yard and the third watchman would do relief work. Presently, the Quad area is patrolled by four men working two shifts from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m.

The watchmen check sign-out books, lock windows and doors, and watch for prowlers. The University Police would not enter the dormitories.

The one 'Cliffe watchman working in the Quad would continue his present duties, but would visit each dormitory only once each evening. Off-campus houses would have no protection.