Bundy, Bell Up For Key Posts On Ford Fund

McGeorge Bundy, former Dean of the Faculty, has been asked within the last few days if he would be available to succeed Henry Heald as President of the Ford Foundation beginning January 1.

It is understood that Bundy, President Johnson's Special Assistant for National Affairs, refused to answer before talking to the President, who returns to Washington today after a three-week convalescence at his Texas ranch.

The CRIMSON contacted Bundy last night, but he declined to comment on the offer.

Bundy was approached in Washington by John J. McCloy, Ford Foundation chairman, who will resign on January 1. It has been reported that McCloy will be succeeded by Julias A. Stratton, president of M.I.T. A source close to Stratton said that Stratton had accepted the chairmanship.

It was also disclosed that as a trustee of the Foundation, the M.I.T. executive was consulted in the selection of presidential candidates and that he supported Bundy as the best man for the job.

There are reportedly three other candidates being considered for the post: Robert S. McNamara, Secretary of Defense, Franklin D. Murphy, Chancellor of the University of California at Los Angeles, and David E. Bell, director of the Agency for International Development.

Murphy is reported to have said he was unavailable. It is believed that even if McNamara desired the position, Johnson would not let him leave Washington at this time. Bell, a former Harvard economist, has reportedly received a firm offer of the Foundation's vice-presidency in charge of international affairs. Bell also refused to comment on the job-shuffling.