HRO to Play in South America; Tour Scheduled for Summer, '66

The Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra will travel to South America in the summer of 1966 on "a cultural exchange rather than a musical venture," Karen A. Monson '66, president of the HRO, announced yesterday.

The tour will last ten weeks, with concerts planned in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela.

Miss Monson said the tour is designed to encourage contact between the members of the orchestra and the people of South America. All participating musicians will be required to learn Spanish, and they will live with native families.

James D. Yannatos, lecturer on Music and director of the HRO, describes the musical purpose of the tour as one of "bringing newer and traditional music of the Americas together."

According to Miss Monson, most of the concerts will be given in small cities which are not usually visited by musical organizations, and the audiences will include people who might not otherwise come in contact with American students. South American soloists and conductors will join the HRO for some of these concerts.

In addition to giving formal concerts, the HRO will divide into ensembles which will perform in schools. At these concerts, members of the orchestra will demonstrate their instruments and allow the children to play them.

Will Cost $100,000

The tour will cost about $100,000. Most of the money will come from private foundations and friends and alumni of the HRO. The orchestra also plans to apply to the State Department for part of its budget. Present negotiations indicate that the South American governments will hanas well as transportation within each die housing and concert arrangements, country.

Miss Monson said the orchestra will soon hire a manager and begin raising funds. She predicts that by next January, the HRO will have a complete itinerary set up.

The orchestra went on a similar tour in the summer of 1962, when they spent eight weeks in Mexico.