ABCD Cancels Tutoring Program; Harvard, Radcliffe Students Jobless

By Carol E. Fredlund

A Program which would have sent 25 Harvard and Radcliffe students into Roxbury and South Boston schools to teach remedial this semester has been cancelled.

The tutors were to have worked for the Teacher Aide Program (TAP), an undergraduate group which cooperates with the Faculty committee on teaching as a career. A private neighborhood development group, Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD), would have paid $150 to each participant for working 12 seven-hour weeks.

Several students expressed disappointment at the cancollation of this year's project. "I haven't taken any other jobs or done any volunteer work because I have been expecting the tutoring program to begin any week," one Radcliffe junior said.

Roger R. Smith '64-2, assistant director of TAP, said last night that, though ABCD had been unable to complete pans for the program for this year, the group has assured his that they were "looking forward to instituting the program next year."

He added that ABCD hopes to set up a smaller pilot program in April and May which might employ a few of the students who had been recruited for the larger program. Smith said that ABCD has already appropriated funds for the project.

Presently 20 Harvard and Radcliffe students and 10 students from other area colleges are serving as teachers' aides in a suburban project organized this fall by TAP under its director, Donald N. Bach '65.

Students teaching in this project assist eight hours a week in primary, junior, and senior high schools in Newton, Arlington, and Cambridge.